Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Friday, September 2, 2011

Coincidence and Marketing

Odd title for a post?

Probably. 

But it goes without saying that I've been a bit frustrated with Blogger for a couple of days.  I wrote out this long post about some stuff that's been going on and a bit more about how things are going with my special someone, but just as I pressed the button to publish the post, the internet errored out.  So, I went into my drafts and it had only saved the first couple of lines.

Coincidence?  Not at all.

No matter how frustrated i was at the time, I decided to let it go because to me, there's no such thing as coincidence and perhaps my post didn't need to be published.

I'll summarize by saying that my son is having some struggles with me openly dating.  It's definitely nothing personal, just his reaction to "change" ... and I think we all struggle with change from time to time.

This is the same beloved child that told me today that I have a "muffin top" ... but that it's not "as bad" as some other people.

Gee thanks, kid.

Nonetheless,contrary to what I probably would've done in the past, I will say that love (yes, i dropped an L bomb) is worth fighting for, and I'm going to hang in there and know that 'if' our relationship progresses in the future (fingers crossed!) and we are able to make it through this hurdle together, we'll be capable of making it through many other things as well.

I know, I'm sure you're all thinking, "what?  she's gonna show up at a function sometime with a significant other?!?!?"  Don't pee your pants 80's ladies ... it just might happen, someday. 

Who knows.

In other news, I'm taking two more classes this semester toward the infamous degree.  Macroeconomics and Marketing.

I'm a total nerd when it comes to Econ.  Love Love Love it.  I actually understand it quite easily and enjoy learning about it.  Not sure what line of work there is for an Economist, but it's a thought.  HA!

Now, my marketing class - these types of classes intrigue me, mostly because it has a creative side that allows me to use logic and reasoning as well as creativity, which is a win-win for me!  I had to write a Social Responsibility Assessment for any company that I wanted.  I struggled at first, but finally found a really good company that I could write about with some ethical marketing strategies that left me wanting to boycott ther products.

Stupid, i know - because seriously, how much of an impact am I going to make?  But I felt like I needed to tell you all about this 'find'.  Nerdy?  Yes.

So, Unilever is the company that makes Axe and Dove products. Dove's marketing approach is about promoting women's natural beauty and helping them understand that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.  They've even gone so far as to create a Campaign for young girls about self-esteem.  A few years ago, they produced a commercial with a young freckle-faced girl, watching a television with constant looping ads of women in commercials.  Everything from Victoria's Secret to anti-wrinkle cream commercials.  The tag line at the end was, "Talk to your daughter before the beauty industry does."

This coming from the same company that produces the Axe line of personal hygiene products for young men.  Their marketing tag line for Axe is, "The cleaner you are, the dirtier you'll get."  Their commercials show scantily clad ladies waltzing around men, touching, lusting, etc after attractive Axe-wearing men.

I took it upon my self to check my son's shower for his bottles of Axe, just to read the back labels. 

...i mean, aren't we all guilty of reading the shampoo bottle in the shower every now and then?

One of his bottles informed me that if he uses said product, it will leave all of the girls resisting the urge to touch him.

The other said that since we all know girls love teddy bears and puppies.  It went on to say that using this conditioner would leave girls wanting to touch something else soft.... your hair.

Really!?!?!

The very company that is talking about how women need to have high self-esteem and self-image, is marketing products to men that leave them with the urge to "do as animals do and mate."

No thanks.

Although I am done having children, I do really like babies and understand that my next 'baby' will be a grandchild... however... I am not interested in my son mating, pollenating or doing his part to increase the world population....

..until he is at least 50.  :)


Needless to say, we'll be switching to Axe's compaetitor.... Old Spice Swagger.

Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment