Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Weekend

The kids and I enjoyed Labor Day weekend in Michigan on Lake Palmer with my friend Amanda and her entire family.  Because I came from a very small family, I always enjoy the family dynamic of other families... especially when they spend time together doing things that have become a tradition for them.

I had to take pictures early Saturday morning down on the canal, so the kids and I didn't leave until the afternoon, but after only about a 2 and a half hour drive, we arrived at Mandy's grandma's house, which was right on the lake. 

We all packed in the house with about 7 other family members and enjoyed the next two days together.  Her grandma cooked us wonderful meals every day and we spent a great deal of time out on the lake.  Although it was a bit cold, the water was very warm - so the kids were in heaven!

I took my kids out on the jetski for a little while and they LOVED it.  Funny how motherhood changes our sense of adventure.  Many years ago, I would've driven the jet ski at full blast, coasting across the 'waves' like it was nothing. 

...two kids in tow holding on to my life jacket, and I drove like an old granny.  I'm not going to lie.  But the kids had so much fun and I really enjoyed doing that together as well.  It made me so happy to hear their giggles behind me as I drove the jet ski across the lake.

It really puts life into perspective.

I could've been doing anything this weekend, but I spent it creating some really cool memories with the kids - and probably something they'll remember forever.  One of those memories where, one day - many years from now, they'll tell their kids about the time "grandma took them for a ride on the jetski."  I know that's like 237489237 years away, but I want my kids to grow up with fond memories of time with me, doing simple things that allow them to experience more than just our normal home surroundings.

The kids and I stood off the edge of the dock one night and tried to catch a few fish.  Wouldn't you know, Bek's Cinderella fishing pole hit the water and caught a little blue gill fish right off the bat.  She was so excited!  And rightfully so - she did it on her own.

I mean... who am I kidding?  I didn't help her bait her own hook :) 

We ended up getting home Monday afternoon around 1ish and I spent the afternoon in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt doing yard work.  Since Chas has become a lawn mowing extraordinaire, I haven't been able to mow for a while, so I took over that job while he cut a tree limb out of our tree.

The fact that it didn't need to be cut out pales in comparison to the manly-ness he felt doing it.  So I let him.  One limb won't hurt anything, right?  Remember the Paul Bunyon story from a few years ago at the old apartment. 

Yea.  He's experienced.

I got my shrubs trimmed up around the house and did the weed eating around the edging .... the best I could.  Which is a far cry from looking good - but ya know.  Whatever.  I did my best.

I'm so ready for bonfires, smores, chili-dinner, and warm gatherings with friends.    Often times, it seems we get so busy with life, we don't slow down to enjoy time with eachother near enough.  Come on fall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment