Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Sunday, September 18, 2011

Colors in the Sky

My hands were gripped on the wheel of my Pontiac, drivng down a familiar road at about 7:15 in the morning.

The sky was absolutely gorgeous.  Painted in colors of yellow, pink and a few scattered clouds among the rays shining off the sun. 

There's just something about a sunrise and a sunset that reaches deep into me and pulls out all kinds of reflective feelings.

I started thinking about Grace.  And about how everyday is a clean slate.  A new chance to make a new day.  A fresh opportunity for good things to happen.  I was thinking about how we can go from being the most happy, thankful, joyous people and within minutes, a storm blows in and we are overcome by negativity, hurt, pain and sadness.

I've had my fair share of times like that, and in retrospect, am so thankful for those times of darkness because I feel like I wouldn't be able to empathize and support people in certain situations without those scars.

I have two sweet people in my life right now with totally opposite circumstances, but my heart hurts for both of them.

One sweet, sweet friend is battling infertility.  And it's rocking her to the core.  She's questioning everything from her body, her Faith, morals and at times her marriage because of the stress of infertility and all that goes along with it.  I can't imagine what that storm must feel like for her, as a woman. 

I struggle at times with knowing what to say to people with infertility issues because of the guilt of the fact that my children came by accident and negligence on my part and were born into homes that weren't ideal.

But then, I see children born into environments that are equally as unhealthy.... with parents that fight, set bad examples, take them for granted or put their own wants and needs ahead of their sweet children.

Then, I remind myself of how good my kids really have it. 

They have the love of both of their parents and God.  What more could they need?

I have another friend that struggled with getting pregnant with her first child 11 years ago.  Then, had another.  Her marriage was ok but finally ended after about 7 years.  She's dated a few guys since she's been divorced and was engaged to be married again.

Long story short, she's expecting again.  Completely by surprise and in total shock and disbelief.

And oh, how I feel her pain.  I know what it feels like to be so upset at yourself for 'allowing' it to happen.  And on top of it, she and her fiance' have broken things off and she's back on her own.

Some may look at her situation and say, "well - she did it to herself!"

And maybe that's the truth, but aren't we, as friends called to support those people anyway?  So, that's what I've been doing with her.  And it's been hard at times, because I can literally feel her pain with the legal aspect... talking to attorneys about a little person that isn't even born yet.  Worrying how in the world you're going to make it financially, etc.

But I stand by what I said when she told me she was pregnant....

"I won't tell you Congratulations, because I know you don't want to hear that.  So, I will just say... it all works out in the end.  Hang in there."

Because it's true... in retrospect, doesn't it all work out in the end?

Isn't everything all part of a bigger plan anyway?  Some may argue in the belief of a higher power, and I can certainly understand people's right to question that 'being' - however I choose to believe.  And I believe that absolutely everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes there are storms.

Have you ever watched the radar as a bad storm is approaching?  We sit, for minutes, maybe hours - watching the radar, then stepping outside to look at the skies as they darken.  The wind begins to blow and we take cover.

In the middle of the storm, do we ever look at the sky behind us?  The sky that was replaced by the storm?  Those fluffy white clouds thta seem to just float freely without care?  The sun that shines on our face and brings children into the street to laugh and play like there are not cares in the world.

Never.

We're always looking at that storm that is approaching.  Then, as it hits us.... we are consumed by it.  Praying that it will pass quickly.  Praying that it won't affect our families and friends.

And then it passes.

You step outside to the smell of fresh rain and a cool breeze that feels so good brushing through your hair.... and then you see...

that rainbow.

The sweet colors of Roy G. Biv traveling behind that massive storm like a caboose on a train.  An arch of colors that  could only be painted by sun rays and dark skies.

If only we could think about the beauty of a rainbow during the storm.

If we trusted that good things would come after the storm passes, would we weather the storm differently?

Sometimes we get so caught up in looking in the direction of the dark clouds, that we forget to look at all that lies around us.  All the rainbows that have been painted in our lives as a result of a storm.

...and all the rainbows that are yet to come.


I know that in time, for all the friends in my life that are in the middle of a storm ... it will pass.  And their skies will be painted with rainbows soon.

And for those of my friends that are currently experiencing the effects of a great rainbow... storms will come.  But we must remember to be mindful of the goodness we have right now and anticipate the colors in the sky that will appear after every storm in our lives.

1 comment: