Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Wednesday, August 17, 2011

If you could wake up anywhere...

....where would it be?

I was reading a blogpost where they asked a bunch of people in a city the same question, "If you could wake up anywhere, where would it be?"

It was interesting to hear the perspectives of different people of all ages, races and backgrounds.  But even more interesting to think about what my own answer to that would be.

Alot of places I'd want to wake up have been going through my head since I read the original question, but I've arrived at the two places I think I'd want to wake up, if given the chance.  I can't decide on either as my number one place I'd like to wake up, mostly because they are vastly different and have a great deal of importance to me either way.


One of the places I'd like to fall asleep and wake up again is in the hospital after I had both of my kids.  I don't want to wake up here as a do-over of sorts where I get the opportunity to do everything differently, but rather an opportunity to "coach" myself on the little things that I may have overlooked at the time.

If I woke up on September 11th, 2000 in the delivery room at Community Hospital in Anderson, I'd tell myself that:

-It was worth the wait in not finding out ahead of time that you were having a little boy.  Remember that moment when, after 45 minutes of pushing and vacuum extraction, you heard, "It's a boy"?  Relish in that moment.  You'll never forget it.

-All the people in the waiting room waiting to meet your little boy are the people that will love you forever.  They are the ones that supported you throughout your pregnancy and those that will be your biggest fans.  They're here to support you as you transition from a woman to a mother.  Let them.

-When you leave the hospital without your son because he needed extra care, enjoy the sleep.  Don't cry because you miss him.  You'll have the rest of your life with him.  The separation is only temporary.  And yes, it's ok to love him "that much."

-Someday, that little boy will start 5th grade.  He'll wave goodbye as he gets on the bus and never look back.  For now, hold him for as long as you want.  In less than a decade his snuggles will be a gift.

-Don't work so much.  Money is just money.  It doesn't make you happy nor solve any problems.  Be there to enjoy your little boy when he's little.  These moments will fade into memories far too soon.

-Give him the best life you can.  He'll never know any different.




If I woke up on February 5th, 2004 in the delivery room at Community Hospital in Anderson, I'd tell myself that:

-Finding out ahead of time that the sweet baby you're waiting on is going to be a little girl was probably the best decision you could've made to get through the pregnancy.  Spending many months bonding with "her" instead of "it" will create a special bond that few others will understand.

-Even though it seems like things are tough now, it will all pass.

-Don't be too proud to ask for help.  If things are tough, reach out.  You may think you can do it alone, but allowing people the opportunity to help will build bonds that you cannot even fathom.

-Stop praying for time to pass.  Someday all this time will pass and you'll wonder what happened to your baby girl.  Enjoy every single moment.  These are the days that will build your character and your strength.  You have no idea how strong you'll be as a result of these moments.

-Take more pictures.  Write down more milestones.  I know you're busy with two kids, but please, for your daughter, document her life in the same way you documented your son's. 

-Thank the friends that support and help you.  And be grateful for a job that you can come back to.

-I know it's somewhat embarrassing and taxing, but laugh about pumping breastmilk at work for 13 months.  Sitting in the "milk and cookie" room at work pumping 3 times a day will amuse you someday.  And most likely, it'll also amuse the people that sit around you at work too.  You're doing the best thing for your daughter; regardless of how inconvenient.  No one has to know you can't afford formula.

-No matter how annoying at times, value the bond between you and your daughter.  There is nothing in the world like it.  Never has been, never will be.  If you want to be different than you and your mom, don't close off the emotional bond that your little girl is building with you.  You're all she's got.  Someday, she'll be a mom too.  And she'll practice everything she learned from you.



**********

The other place I think I'd like to wake up is....
...in the arms of the man that was meant for me.

Many years ago, I didn't understand love like I do now.  I was too busy trying to figure out how to love my children the best I could while juggling many other things in my life and now that they are half grown...I understand the importance of companionship.  A person to be my best friend.  Love me and my kids no matter what and be able to enjoy time alone with.

Waking up alone in my bed for the past 9 or 10 years is getting old.  I'm not saying i'm on a mission to find my future husband, steal him up and marry him.... but I'm just saying that after waiting this long, I can't wait to feel that piece of my heart filled in.

I wouldn't change anything, honestly.  I know that's cliche', but there is no way I would've even began to have known how to be a good wife without the issues and struggles in my past.  Without learning from every relationship that I've been in how to compromise, how to work together and most importantly how to honor my husband.

I know there will always be issues and I most certainly won't be the perfect wife (i know, huge surprise to many of you since i'm so friggen awesome, hahah!)  But in all seriousness, I've got this mom thing under control (well, at least I think I do.  Definitely not the best, but I do alright)... I cannot wait to take care of my husband like I've taken care of my children.

So, remind me... in 20 years when i'm (dear God, please let's pray that i'm married by then) an old married bat complaining about my husband, will you please remind me about this time in my life when I couldn't wait to meet him, shower him with affection and wake up next to him everyday for the rest of my life?!

So yea, either way I want to wake up with a baby in my arms.  Whether it be two little babies that i birthed or one big baby that i married.

That's where i wanna wake up.  :)

2 comments: