Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Boys of Fall

My son has played football since he was in First Grade, which has been 5 years now.  He started out with Flag Football, then moved to tackle in 3rd grade.  I really never understood football before he started playing, and to be real honest, I didn't fully understand it until about the end of 3rd grade.  That's when I started to really catch on.

Here is my interpretation of football.  For those of you who understand football, you will probably get a good laugh.

For those of you that are like me and don't really 'get it' ... this may help you out, scare you to death or make you cry.  Who knows.

So, the ball gets hiked from the middle of the big group of guys and somehow it lands on the hands of another kid... i haven't figured out if it's the quarterback or not, but anyway - depending on the play they are running, the quarterback will either take off running with the ball or pass it or fake pass it to someone else.

Everyone else's job is the push the opposing team away and keep them from making contact with the cool guy that is carrying the ball.  I didn't really "get" this concept until I saw a play last year where it was literally like slow motion, our team had the ball and was running and our players were running along the side, pushing the opposing team out of the way to clear the path for the runner.  It was like a giant lightbulb went off in my head.  And all of a sudden, I knew when to cheer.  On my own!  Instead of just clapping when I saw other people clap.

Now, another thing I just finally figured out yesterday (another amazing ah-ha moment).  So, there's the "chain gang" ... and I never really understood what they did, but Chas' dad is always on the 'chain gang'... and basically he stands on the other side of the field and holds one of three poles.  Two of them are giant circles and then the one in the midde is a number that signifies "downs" or whatever.  (Remember I'm a novice here).

So, there's a set amount of distance between the two bullseyes.  And basically, the offense has 4 tries to get past the bullseye.  If they can't make it, then the ball goes to the other team.  I think.  This might have something to do with the term "line of scrimmage" but I haven't yet figured that out yet either.

I'm getting there though.

Penalties and logic of plays... no clue.  One step at a time here.

So yesterday's game... my son was ON FIRE.

And when I say "ON FIRE" ... I mean... i was resisting the urge to stand in the crowd, flailing around yelling "THAT'S MY BOY!!!" 

I controlled myself.

But inside, I was beaming with pride at what a great player he was yesterday.  By the end of the game, I wasn't sure his head would fit inside my small SUV for the ride home. 

I seriously love that boy.

Basically, he played defense yesterday, and he plays the position of "nose guard".  I have no idea what this means other than the fact that he is in the center of the defensive line and when the other team hikes the ball, he is supposed to cut right though the middle and try to 'sack the quarterback'.

Yesterday, out of no where, my handsome and skillful son comes running and tackles the opponents runner like it was nothing.  3 times in a row.  If yu were in any close proximity to Pendleton, you probably heard me yelling at my boy.

Hearing all 3 coaches yell encouragement towards my son's actions as well as the opposing coaches telling their team to "watch for #48" was quite possibly one of my most proud moments as a Football Mom.

I love my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment