Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Monday, October 24, 2011

Try It Before You Buy It

I'm typically one of those people that tends to err on the side of caution before making any major purchases.  Rarely do I make a split second decision, especially when it comes to spending money.

So, I've recently been intrigued by The North Face jackets.  A couple of my friends own them and despite the fact that they are way overpriced for what I would pay for almost anything... I didn't really know much of anything else about them.

So, I started casually talking to my the people that own them, asking if they like them, etc.  I just needed to fully understand the concept of spending that much money... on a jacket.  Everyone said it was worth the money.  Well, worth the money to one person may not be the same as me.  One of my friends even commented that her husband gave her permission recently to buy another one because he knows she gets her money's worth out of it.  Hmm... that got me thinking.

Now, because I'm very self conscious of "the girls" (if you know what I mean)... i tend to wear a lot of hoody-jackets over my clothes to hide them... as much as possible.  Here lately with the cold weather, I'm wearing the jackets/hoodies more often; especially as it's not cold enough yet for a full winter coat, but still brisk.

This past weekend, Chas had an evening football game when it was supposed to be pretty cold.  I figured it would be a good time to "test drive" one of my friend's North Face coats to see if it was worth the money.  So, I asked to borrow one for the weekend and headed to the game, no longer a North Face Virgin.

Yea, I went there.

Anyway...

I sat there, cozied up in the jacket, a scarf and my hat and stayed warm the entire time.

I have to admit... I was almost completely sold.

So, I kept the jacket for a couple more days... I mean... if I"m going to drop $100+ on a 'jacket'... i better do everything but shower in it.

The jacket and I really became close over the last few days.  We hung out a lot.  I was able to depend on the jacket to keep me at the appropriate temperature, no matter what the weather.

By Sunday...

I was sold.

So, I went and bought one myself.  I had a couple of photo shoots last week; enough to use that extra money to pay for the jacket and not even miss the expense.  I still cannot believe I spent that much on a jacket.  And further, cannot believe I didn't buy it on clearance.  I rarely pay full price for anything, so I'm still trying to tame the nervous twitches that I've been experiencing since I faced the fact that I actually bought a North Face Jacket.

There is a strong possibility, that the next time you see me... I will be wearing it.

Don't judge.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! How often do you splurge on yourself? But I have to ask....are you sleeping in it?

    ReplyDelete