Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Wednesday, February 22, 2012

House Hunt 2k12 - Update!

What a whirlwind the last few weeks have been since the House Hunt began.  I'd tried to update this blog numerous times, but much to my dismay, apparently I needed to download Google Chrome in order to update it.


...so much for being a Tech nerd, eh?


Finally, I am able to update my blog!  Whoo hoo!


As you know, we'd been looking at houses in the area, not rushing, just looking for something to come across that suited our fancy.  We were going to Joe's parent's house one day and saw a moving truck outside a cute house on his old road.  We both thought that was kinda odd, especially since the garage didn't look like they were packing to move, but whatever - we assumed maybe one of their kids was moving and left it at that.


A couple of days later, a For Sale sign went up in the yard.  It's a cute 2 story brick cape-cod style house with shutters, dormers, cute backyard, etc - so the minute we saw the sign, I had to call. It hadn't been listed yet online, but the Realtor told me a few details about it .  And i knew we had to schedule a showing.


It was 4 bedrooms (BINGO!  Exactly what we need!)
It had a small office area (SUPER!  I need that too, for work!)
A bonus room above the garage (SCORE!)
A Main-level Master Bedroom (This was high on my list of WANTS)
A Fire Place (This was a borderline NEED on my list of wants/needs)
It looks modest from the outside (Exactly how i wanted my house to be)


So, I scheduled a showing. 


Despite a few cosmetic issues that I had with it (a bit too much wallpaper, the dining room is lavender, etc) .. it was just perfect.


But I didn't want to be jaded by the fact that it was literally the first house I'd looked at.


So, I told Joe that I love that house, and we decided to continue our search.  He found a few other houses he wanted to see, so I scheduled the showings on a Saturday when we could look at them all and get a good idea of what we liked.


He fell in love with the same Cape-Cod that I did.  Loved it.  We thought the price was a bit high, but when we factored in the new roof, new windows, new furnace and air, new main area carpeting, etc etc - we decided that all the major repairs it would need that would cost the most money were all less than 6 months old, and as long as it passed inspection, it was a pretty good deal.


We talked to the Realtor about making an offer and found out that there were 2 other offers the owners were reviewing.


So, we put in our offer and to make a long story short, they accepted!


We had the inspection done last week and they found only a few minor issues, all of which the owner is going to fix, so that's even better!  We should be closing the week before Spring Break and get possession within 30 days.


So, it was time to start figuring out what to do with my house and his current apartment. He contacted his landlords and asked if he could get out of his lease.  He of course offered to pay until it was rented, but hoped to get out soon.  I decided to list my house on Craig's List for rent/buy and see if I got any bites.


I was contacted by 3 different people, 2 of which came to look at the house and said they wanted it.  One of Bek's friends parents was looking for a house to move into, since they currently live in Anderson and are wanting to buy, but not right away, etc - so they have decided to take it!  Their timeline is flexible, as is mine, so I think it will be a good fit.


This makes me especially happy because I know the people that are going to live in/buy my house.  As you all know, I was struggling with selling my house, as it has a lot more meaning than just 1400 square feet of brick and shingles.   It may be a small and simple home, but it's mine and I bought it on my own; so getting rid of it is difficult.


Within a week, Joe's landlord called and said that he had 2 people interested in looking at his condo as they are very interested in buying it!  So, everything is falling into place nicely!


I'm getting very excited and very nervous at the same time, but I can't help but encourage myself with the fact that everything is working out with minimal issues (so far, knock on wood)... so it must be the way it's supposed to be.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how exciting!! Can't wait to see the new place!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost cried reading this. How perfect everything is falling in to place for you! I am free on some Wednesdays, some Mondays and some Saturdays/Sundays to come help organize and get rid of stuff so your move will be easier (and your man will be less scared).

    ReplyDelete