Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Africa

I've had Missions Trips on my heart alot lately; as my church is going on a Mission Trip to Africa next summer and it's really made me want to join them.  Not sure if it's a possibility logistically, but nonetheless - it's been on my mind and heart pretty heavily lately.

With that being said, last night I had a dream that I actually went on the trip.  Except it was nothing like I thought.  I was completely unprepared, which isn't normal for me, especially when it comes to traveling.  I remember in my dream, landing on a plane in Africa and realizing that I'd forgotten my cell phone charger.... and most importantly... my camera.

How in the world did I forget my camera when I was on a trip to Africa??  No idea.

But I did. 

And I was absolutely devastated.

In my dream, I felt really uneasy, like maybe I hadn't prepared well enough at home, with getting my kids ready for me to be away, so long story short, my mission trip was cut short and I returned home quickly.

But I would really, really love to do something like that sometime.  Moreso though, when Chas is a tad bit older as I think he'd really benefit from seeing the world in a less-than-glorious fashion.  I really want him to understand the needs of others as well as serve them in whatever capacity that is.

Serve "the least of these" ; novel concept, eh?

I think it's one thing to provide for your child in a way that makes sure that their needs and wants are met. 

But it's a completely different story when you expose them to the world. 

The real world.

The kind of exposure that burrows into their hearts for a really long time and turns them into genuine people.  Ones that care for others and put others in front of themselves.

Maybe that's just my view, but I would absolutely love to share that opportunity with my children; one-on-one.

When I was 13, I traveled to the UK and Ireland as a Student Abassador.  Was the trip great, amazing, wonderful, etc?

Yes

Was it life-changing....

Yes, but not in the way that really changes your heart.


So maybe I should put it this way... and perhaps this will give me some 'push' to start a separate account to save for such trips....

Just thinking outloud here...

but how awesome would it be if I could take each of my children one-on-one to two different "life changing" places in their lives.  Perhaps, during their impressionable years (say 12-14)... take them on a Mission Trip to a different part of the world - whether it be Latin America, Africa, etc.  And then, maybe as a graduation gift or something similar... take them to a more modernized area of the world, so for instance UK, Europe, etc. 

I dunno, but I think that would be a goal to work towards that would benefit them more than any kind of material possessions.  And quite possibly play a key role in turning them into the type of people that I want them to be as they grow up.

They don't have to be the smartest kids in the class to make me happy.

They don't have to go to college and get their trusty diploma to make me proud.

They don't have to achieve some grand position at a company making thousands of dollars annually to make me think they are successful.

My love and acceptance isn't based on success....

What would make me happy, proud and think they are successful is if they end up being selfless servants of others.  Always looking out for others' feelings, showing their appreciation for others and willingness to help in times of need.  Lacking judgement and showing only love and compassion, no matter who the people are.

That's what I want for them.

And I think it's my job to provide them opportuntities to learn that.

No comments:

Post a Comment