Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day

I just celebrated what was technically my 12th Mother's Day - counting the one when Chas was in utero.


Aside from just generally being thankful that I am a Mother to my children each and every year, this was by far, the best Mother's Day I've had.  It wasn't anything overly special, it was just that Joe put a great deal of effort into making sure I had a good day.


Sunday morning, I had to teach at church all morning, so I packed up all 3 kids and went to church while Joe ran to the other house to get the lawn mower loaded and spent all morning while I was at church mowing my yard.


I was so thankful.


Keeping up with two yards has been very challenging; and the yard was looking terrible.  I feel horrible when my old yard looks bad because the neighbors were already upset that I'm moving, let alone leaving the yard in disarray.


So, I was beyond thankful when I got back to the "old house" and saw how absolutely beautiful the yard was.


We had been test driving a bigger car that weekend, so after we got back from church he returned the car to the dealership in Indianapolis while I cleaned up the 'new' house before we hosted a family gathering that evening for Mother's Day.


Joe went to the store and got Filet steaks for the 3 moms and chicken for the guys.  It was so nice.  Our moms brought other food and it was very nice to get together and enjoy dinner with eachother.  My Grandpa was able to come too - which is always a treat.


...but I sure missed my Grandma this year.


We took flowers to the cemetery earlier in the day and stood there and cried.  At times, it still doesn't seem real that she's not here.  I know time will help the memories make up for the loss that I feel, but the holidays are so, so hard.


I was able to keep the tears hidden for much of the rest of the day and by night, was ready for bed.


I am so thankful for a guy that reminds my kids that it's Mother's Day and they should treat me well, all day (and every day).

No comments:

Post a Comment