Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rewind

I'd like to set the clock back to maybe, last weekend - because I feel really cheated on the past week or so of time.




Last Friday night, when Chas was with his dad, I got a text that he had a fever of 101.3.  His dad was handling it and treating the symptoms.  No problem.


He carried a fever all weekend, at one point getting up to 103.9  .  By late Sunday night, his fever had still not broken, so I knew he was going to have to stay home from school on Monday.  That day came and went, and still had a fever, so Tuesday morning, I called his pediatrician.


Her nurse told me that there are a lot of bugs going around, and to just let it run its course for a couple more days.


Sure enough, the fever broke early Tuesday morning, so I sent him to school on Wednesday. He still had a cough, but with the weather, and Doctor's recommendation, I just let it go.  I dropped his inhaler off at school on Wednesday in case he needed it during the day and that was that.


He went to school Thursday too, but came home Thursday night looking clammy and saying he was having trouble taking full breaths. 


Bek needed to get to swim lessons that night, so thankfully her friend Kayleigh's mom was able to help me out with all of that while I took Chaston to the E.R.  My co-pay is the same for ER and Urgent Care Centers, so I always opt for the ER, just in case additional intervention is needed, we are already there.


After about 40 minutes in the ER, a breathing treatment and chest x-ray, we were released with a diagnosis of pneumonia, a Z-pak for antibiotics, Mucinex and another inhaler.


Obviously, he stayed home from school again on Friday, but started to feel better as the day progressed.


Friday afternoon, he got in the shower before we were supposed to take my Grandpa out for his birthday dinner and I noticed some odd bumps/welt/rash looking stuff on his back and a bit on the front of his chest.


He said it didn't really bother him, so I told him we'd go to dinner and see if it progressed throughout the evening.  Sure enough, I checked him out after we left dinner and he was covered with these scaly-raised-welts.


Ugh.


So, back to the ER we went, late Friday night to solve the new mystery of the rash.


While there, the doctor told us that the Radiologist read his x-ray from the night before and found pneumonia in both lungs.  


So, so awesome - especially at the direction of his doctor's office to "wait it out".  


Ugh.


In the meantime, the rash was an allergic reaction to Z-pak.  Which, as you know, is not cool, since z-pak is used to treat so many different kinds of infections.  We were told to discontinue use of the Z-pak and start Biaxin Saturday morning.


By this afternoon, his welts were not as raised anymore, but his back and front still looked shameful.  I'm hoping the Benedryl will help the reaction subside and the new antibiotic will kick in and make his life a little better.


All of this.... just in time for ISTEP testing this week.


Is it Friday yet??

1 comment:

  1. Poor sweet Chas, I hope he feels better. And look on the bright side: it wasn't the measles!!!

    ReplyDelete