Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Friday, March 9, 2012

"Ah-ha!" Moments

If you were to go to a restaurant and order something off the menu that was similar to who I am, you'd probably order the following:


A platter of 'creativity', with one side of 'intellect' and another side of  thick 'quirky-ness'.  It would most likely be covered in a gravy-like amount of 'randomness' and a dusting of 'humor'.


Later, you might get a little bit of 'hot-head temper' for dessert.  But only if you're brave enough to try it.


It would most likely arrive on a plate that is covered to contain the contents.  Open up the lid and everything comes busting out as if there was no organization to the presentation of the platter.


Yep, that would be me.


Love it or leave it.




I have these things in my work (and more recently) my school life that I call "Ah-ha! Moments".  Maybe you can relate; it's that moment when you finally "get it".  Whatever it is you are supposed to "get"... you just "got".


For me, at work - often it's finally understanding what my role is on a project team.  I understand the deliverables, I understand where the project needs to go, but I'm not completely sure what 'you' want from me. 


Finally, it's as though the clouds parted, the angels began to sing halleluja and i finally 'get it'.


Same with school work.  Love Econ, because I 'get it' fairly easily. I'm learning that i really love philosophy because again, i 'get it'.   Geology is just plain stupid; there are no 'Ah-ha" moments and I don't plan on having any.


But Web Design...


I took that class this semester because i thought it would be right up my creative boulevard.


WRONG.


WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.


Humbly, i admit, i was wrong.


And it's so dumb, because it's not hard.  I just simply "don't get it".


Luckily, a friend from high school took the class 2 years ago and "aced" it, so i've been leveraging his help to get me through.


But it's so dang frustrating!  I just want to have that "ah-ha!" moment, because i know that if i "got it" it would be something that would probably be very beneficial, especially as it relates to movement laterally within my career.


But I don't see that happening.


I also don't see much of a future for me in web design.


Although I don't rank web design as far down on my "shit i hope i never have to relive" list like I've ranked "Caves"  (HAHAH!)... i am pretty certain it's on the list somewhere.  


...most likely in that gray area where it is categorized as "shit I hope i never have to relive unless my job depends on it and then i'll re-learn it."


Sorry for the language, i just really hate when i don't understand something. 


Huge, huge scar to my delicate little pride.


At any rate, even though I am positive, with the help of my friend, i WILL get an A in the class, I am strongly suggesting that if you need help designing your own web page...




...don't call me.



1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that the menu item similar to you would be served extremely HOT!
    Handle with care.

    ReplyDelete