Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oddities

A list of oddities about me:

1.) I do enjoy eating Mexican food, however there is a specific method to the Corn vs Flour Tortilla selection. If I am eating Chicken Tacos - that requires a Corn Totilla. Any other type of taco, such as beef, requires a Flour tortilla. There is absolutely no method to my maddness with regard to this. This is just how it is.


2.) Since taking my Lean Six Sigma courses, I find myself analyzing daily processes in terms of liklihood, statistical outcome and sample size. And no, I don't think that's normal. For instance, when I go to my favorite gas station to get a drink each morning.. I fill my cup up with ice. Sometimes, it's too much ice. Other times, i have to add a couple more pieces. I truly have no idea what the threshold is in my head for the appropriate amount of ice, but there is one. Sometimes, as a challenge, I think about how I should do a sample size to see how similar in number my ice pellets are each day and look at it on a Bell Curve to determine what the ideal # of ice pellets each day should be. And yes, apparently I have too much spare time.


3.) Trying new foods. I didn't realize I did this until this past week when my sweetie took me to an Indian restaurant to try their food. They bring you a clean plate and then the food comes in separate dishes. Instead of just piling the food on my plate in the center, I started by putting it right on the edge. The whole rest of the plate was clean except for that section. When I tried some of what he ordered, it also went on the edge. I determined that in my mind, I do that because i'm not comfortable with the food yet and it begins to cross the invisible line of personal space and begins to 'own' me; instead of me owning the food.


4.) I hate being caught off guard by anything. In many aspects of my life, I'm a planner. In other aspects, I just fly by the seat of my pants. But I do not handle it well when I am caught off guard. It can be something as simple as dinner plans, driving routes, etc. It's really the dumbest thing... if a plan gets thrown off, I can instantly feel my blood pressure rise and I start to process how this change is going to affect everything. Even if the effect is minor, I still have to have a minute to deal with it. Seriously, so dumb.


5.) I'm a procrastinator... until I'm ready that is. Thinking too far ahead seriously stresses me out. But I know that if you don't plan things ahead of time, often you are left with half-baked plans. For instance, this wedding situation. Part of me wants to hurry up and get it planned so I know what is going on. Because it's such a cumbersome thing to plan, the other part of me wants to just put it off and hope that some wonderful plan will fall into my hands and it'll be taken care of. Dress Shopping. Oh good grief... another thing I will need to put some time into, especially if I have to wait for it to be ordered and shipped... but not something I can execute right this minute, so it's easy to put off. Um... the decision to have another child. Oh. My. Goodness. Starting over with my youngest at 9 or 10 years old by the time the baby would be born is a HUGE decision! On the flip side, everything that is holding me back from just saying YES! I love being a mom.. is selfishness. Then, the possibility of regret if I choose not to have more children permanently - what happens if in, 3 or 4 years I regret not having one more with someone I love? Anyone have an extra Prozac? So yea. There's really no rhyme or reason to which situations I apply procrastination and which circumstances allow me to apply planning.


6.) Shampoo and Conditioner always get squeezed in my left hand. It doesn't even feel right to have it begin in my right hand. .


7.) I work for a Technology giant, but am scared to death of Technology. I think we discussed this briefly before, but I cannot process all of the 'apps' available for iphones, androids, etc. It was like pulling teeth to get me to purchase an Android cell phone last year because I did not undersatnd its purpose. I still don't use it to the maximum capacity. I am baffled by some of the other apps out there that people show me and I think they're great, but I do not understand their practical application in my life. My guess is that I may be an old bat in my later years as I will simply refuse to get on board with technology. My grandchildren will probably laugh at all of my 'old school' appliances... unless my husband buys the up-to-date stuff. But don't count on me to know how to use it.


I'm sure there are many more, but that's it for now.

1 comment: