Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mr. Fix It

This week was a fun week at my house with unexpected home repairs.  


First things first... last week was like any other work-week.  I started my Monday off as per usual, got the kids off to school and then began working.  I usually take my daily shower around noon and then I'm all set for the rest off the day.


This was no different except, if I remember correctly, I hadn't taken a shower on Sunday, so by Monday at noon, I was SO craving a nice warm shower. 


I have a small stand-up only shower in my bedroom-bathroom, which is where I always shower.  I don't think I've ever showered in the main bathroom; as I've never really had a need to.


So, to give you some background - my shower head was spraying water everywhere and more recently had become so loose, depending on the way it was turned, would potentially spray water straight into the air toward the ceiling.


Not cool.


So, Sunday evening, Chas and I installed a new shower head and I was SO excited to use this sweet piece of machinery by Monday.


I get in the shower Monday in between conference calls and prepare to adjust my shower head when.....


boom!  water everywhere.


Apparently as I was moving the shower head, it messed up something in the wall where it was connected and i had water squirting out from the wall.


Fabulous.


So, I finish my shower in the main bathroom, which was odd to say the least, and call the plumber.


He came to my house the next day and got my shower fixed for about $50.  Good deal; I could now shower with my new shower head.  Yee Haw.


On Thursday, Chas had spent the night with his dad the night before, and i had to run into town to pick him up at 8 am to take him to school and drop him off. 


No problem.


Except my garage door won't open.


And my car is stuck inside.


And I can't get it to manually open either.


Once before, when the power was out, I figured out how to pull the lever on my door to manually release it and open it the old-fashioned way.  

But this time, it wasn't so easy and I couldn't figure out why.



So, i called my sweet neighbor and drove her car like I stole it... all the way into town to get my kiddo and then to school.  I felt really awesome having to explain that my car was "Stuck" in my garage.


It doesn't get much more awesome.


So, one of my friends sent her husband over to help me get my door manually lifted; with success.  We were able to effectively get my car out of the garage, but couldn't figure out what was wrong with the door.


It was time for Repair man #2. 


The garage door company came to my house that same morning and told me that the spring was broken.  They had it fixed and were out the door pretty quickly.  I wrote another check to the repair man and prayed there would be no more broken things in my home for a while.


Saturday was a fun girls day with my friend Jen.  We decided to go wedding dress shopping and I was lucky enough to find one that i like!  I had no intention of purchasing that day, but when I found this dress, couldn't find anything that I didn't like about it AND learned that it was on clearance for $99 , I bought it.    Done deal.  with the exception of not being able to fully breathe when it' zipped all the way, it fits like a charm.  


The only place it wouldn't comfortably zip is at the top around my bust-area.  Surprise Surprise.  


Either way, I confirmed with the alterations guy that if i don't lose 5 pounds in "the girls" this summer, he can let the dress out with minimal issue so I can breathe whilst wearing it.


Which leads me to another thing that I humbly must admit.


(I absolutely HATE when I have to eat humble pie, but I digress...  I'm cutting the pie now.)


After putting the dress on, getting everything in place and all the noteworthy accessories...


... I kinda wanna have a small wedding at home so everyone can share in that with me.


Ugh.  I cannot believe I just said that.


Additionally, the more I've thought about it lately, the more I wonder if, in the instance of the blending family notion that we are looking at... it may be more symbolic and 'real' to have the children present for the wedding and participate minimally in the union.


After comparing several options as it relates to different options for the nuptials,  I believe it would be very similar in cost to pull off an extremely simple-Gin-styled wedding for about the same cost as a destination wedding.  I could still have a honeymoon and time to start our lives together alone, but I must admit, I'm considering a small Fall-ish wedding here.


Ugh.


The humble pie doesn't taste so good.


But we will see!  He has been busy moving to his new place, so I didn't want to bother him with all the details just yet.  (Surprise honey!)  So, once I get the options and prices organized, I will give him the options and see what input he has about this whole thing.




So for those of you who were slightly disappointed in my proclamation of a destination wedding alone... there MAY be hope.


ha!



2 comments:

  1. The above-mentioned news makes me quite happy! :) It's not humble pie....it's good to look at all the possibilities, and decide which one makes you happiest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you are having a little wedding. I think you will be glad you did!

    And if it makes you feel better, Matt and I changed our mind about our wedding plans/destinations many times before we settled on one. :) It happens after you have more time to think! I have some great wedding blogs that are budget friendly that I'll send to you!

    ReplyDelete