Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Sunday, July 24, 2011

Concert

I've always been one to think about what my kids will remember from childhood.  I don't want them to look back and wish it were too different, although I know there will be times like that.  But for the most part, I try to conciously balance between the good and the bad.  There is disclipline, but there is also fun.  And that's something that I try to really maintain.

Since it's summer, I work from home and have pretty much disrespected any form of schedule that believed it belonged in my house ... my kids are enjoying the time they've been spending with their neighborhood friends.   And I'm happy to oblige. 

My philosophy: "They're only young once."

Right?

They balance their days and nights between my house and their friends' houses that are each within walking distance from our home.  Their friends have great parents and I can certainly trust that they are being taken care of.

Back to the story.


We've started a new tradition this summer, and I have to tell you, as obnoxious as it may seem, every time we do it, it makes me think of how I really hope my kids remember these moments when they are grown.

I've spent a great deal of the summer with my kids and their two friends.  Count 'em folks... FOUR kids.

Thank goodness they are good kids.  :)

So, we roll all the windows down on Francine (my car) and turn the CD up literally as loud as it will go.

Bekah usually plays air guitar, her friend Jordan sits in the back with her singing and laughing.  Chas and Nick will sing along too, dancing and doing arm motions to accompany their infamous moves.

We call it the "car concert".

Alright, don't grade me on creativity, because after spending the summer with 4+ kids every day, my intelligence, maturity and creativity are lacking.

Don't judge.

So, back to the concert.  My favorite part comes at the end of the song, where as the song volume dereases with the final notes, we all start screaming and clapping like we're at a concert.

Some would argue that our actions are insane.

..and i'd have to agree.

but it's fun.  And that's what memories are made of, right?


So tonight, all four kids crashed at the "five oh eight" (that's what i call my house, due to the numericals in my address for those that don't understand).  I had recorded the CMT top 20 video countdown earlier this morning and decided I wanted to watch it.

That simple act turned into a a wild event that included numeous clothing changes and in one case, the boys dressed in dresses and cowboy hats.

I won't expand on that one.

The best part was that we only had 1 cowboy hat.  That's kind of a problem with 4 kids.

Thankfully their creativity came into play rather quickly and devised a plan of improvision where they would be able to wear 'any' hat in the house to the concert.  We had a pink and blue sombrero, a full pink and blue indian headdress and then the old faithful pink cowboy hat.

The fast songs would include dancing, jumping around, clapping, and just overall concert-ish moves that you would expect at a full country concert. 

Not in my living room.

but whatever.  My sanity was already gone.

We spent a good hour or more laughing, singing and having a really fun time.   The kids were all happy and playing together perfectly.

Although my kids are still young, I know the days are numbered and the opportunity to make fun memories like that will dissipate in the future.  I won't lie there are certainly days when I want to find some island far, far away where there are only good friends, good food and a good man (only when I want him! hah!)... but tonight was a night where I realized....

...there's no place like home.

...there's no sound greater than children laughing.

...there's no where else I'd rather have been.

Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! You should have posted more pictures! Those were SOOOO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. car concert! I love it! ;) Your living room reminds me of the concerts at my house a couple years ago. Emma has a karaoke machine which we all became obsessed with for a while. We'd all take turns singing, and sing together. We had country CDs, pop, Jonas Bros, Camp Rock, Hannah Montana--it was awesome. By the way, I just asked Emma about all this karaoke gear the other day because we've outgrown it...let me know if the five oh eight could use a sound system and CDs....

    ReplyDelete