Wash the Windshield

Keeping the view of the road ahead clear.



Monday, July 18, 2011

Cheater

After working at JCPenney in high school and college and then working there for several years when I thought I was going to get laid off from HP several years ago, I kinda grew to love the JCP. 

Mostly beacuse they were always so good to me.  They paid me well (for part time work) - were ready to invest in me from a growth perspective when I was worried my future with HP was limited and most of all, always worked around my schedule, especially when it came to my school functions, my kids and my 'real' job.

JCP was like an outlet.  I hated working at HP all day and then heading to JCP at night, but it was a different kind of work and I liked it.  I was able to see and talk to many different people, help out with their shopping, give them good deals on sales and just generally work with the public.

When my career stabilized again after many workforce transformations and my photography hobby picked up, I was able to let go of JCP from a financial provider perspective and depend on them only to shop.

...and maybe when my JCP bill was equal to the money I was making there during work, I might have realized that I didn't really depend on the money for anything other than to support a really, really bad habit I had picked up....

Clearance Shopping.

But nonetheless, JCP was always good to me and at times, I still miss working for her.

But I'm a grown up.  With kids.  I don't need to be working retail hours unless I absolutely have to.

I've always shopped there though.  Probably because I knew the floor plan inside and out.  And maybe because I just 'knew' how to work the sales to my advantage. 

Here lately, I've been feeling really guilty because  - - - -





... I've been cheating on JCP with Kohl's.



I know, it might sound trivial.  Because Kohl's is pretty much JCP's biggest competition from a product and sales perspective.  But it's a stupidly big deal to me.

I guess it all started when I moved to my house and was about 10 minutes from Kohl's.  Or maybe I ran across a really good deal on something there and decided to go back again.

And again

and again

and...

you get the drift.

So whatever.

This weekend, I finally reached a point in the proverbial relationship with Kohl's that it was time to come out and just admit it.

What prompted this turning point?

Hold on to your hat, because this is pretty absurd good.

If any of you (ladies ... I know there are a couple of men that read this) - so any of you ladies are big busted, you will know that strapless bras are absolutely NOT our friends.

Don't even try to ACT like a strapless bra fits you like it did in high school because I am here to tell you that it doesn't.  It just doesn't. 

One of two things happens:

1. - whatever outfit you are wearing that requires a strapless bra literally drums up vocal chords and says, "hello world... the GIRLS HAVE ARRIVED!"  and you end up looking like a ridiculous hooker that's trying to show off her assets.

2. - the strapless bra itself grows vocal chords and says, "look, it's just too much, we can't support all of this."  And it ends up stupidly uncomfortable to the point where you just wish you would've worn a sweatshirt and called it a day.


So, back to the story.

I was wandering around Kohl's and saw what appeared to be some letters on the tag of a brassier that appeared to have a heavenly glow around it as though God himself sent this brassier to directly to me.

(oh, how He answers prayers...)

"strapless minimizer"

What?  A strapless minimizer.  Because of comfortability (certainly not style, but definitely comfortability), I always purchase minimizers.

But now... a strapless minimizer.

That sealed the deal.

Kohl's was my new love.

And away I went.... minimizer in tow.

... and we are living happily ever after.

2 comments:

  1. Wha- Wha- whaaaaaaat? Imma go check that out at the Kohl's four minutes from my house.

    BTW, I did find a decent, comfortable (relatively speaking) convertable strapless at Lane Bryant last fall.

    ReplyDelete